The Night Eternal - Cold Velvet
One of my favourite band discoveries last year was The Night Eternal. I saw them at the Alcatraz festival in Belgium and became a fan right away! I was initially not even going to go to their set. But while walking around I caught a glimpse of their soundcheck and thought "hey, this sounds really good. I should check this set out". And I'm really glad I did because it ended up being one of the highlights of that festival.
Well last week they released a new album named "Cold Velvet". And I want to have a look at this one today. This is their third album and I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to the first two. They play a unique style of traditional heavy metal with a bit of an occult atmosphere floating around it. And with this third album they keep up exactly this type of sound. Let's have a look.
I always enjoy it when the opening track of an album feels like you're about to go on a big journey. This is pretty much exactly what "Where This World Ends" accomplishes. The eerie atmospheric tone gets set really quickly here. I really enjoy the mix of traditional heavy metal instrumentals with this type of tone. The guitar solo in particular does a great job at blending these two things for me in this song.
It's honestly hard to describe what this band sounds like. Pretty much everything they do are things that you'll hear in traditional heavy metal. Yet there is this arch around it that makes the overall product scream "The Night Eternal" to me. It's impressive to create such a unique sound within a genre that has such a vast history where you would assume that pretty much everything has been done already at least once. But apparently that's just a bunch of malarkey because here is a truly unique sound.
The song title "Caught In A Spell" is very on the nose here. Because that's a great way to describe what it feels like to listen to this album. The more I think about it, this style feels very reminiscent of what Ghost does with their music. However I think The Night Eternal executes this idea a lot better. It's a lot more subtle while at the same time feeling very immediate.
The vocal style of singer Ricardo Baum is very fitting for this sound. He has a very recognisable voice. If I had to describe the style it almost feels like a sort of mix between Ozzy Osbourne and King Diamond, but done with this baritone voice instead. It's almost the kind of voice that you would imagine a witch doctor or something like that would use. Which is very fitting for the atmosphere that this band has.
Comments
Post a Comment