My backlog is way too large for my own good
I'm sure plenty of enjoyers of the interactive medias can relate to that one. But jokes aside, the more I'm clearing out games from my backlog in recent months, the more it feels like I'm just putting drops in the ocean.
So let's have an in depth look in my backlog for a moment. I'm not gonna mention everything that's in there or else we'd be here for days. But I wanted to have a look at how big it truly is and how I'm probably never going to clear it all.
Let me start with the physical backlog. The day before writing this I decided to dedicate some cabinet space specifically to physical games that I have yet to finish. And as you can see in the picture above, there's a lot of it.
Throughout my years of collecting games I've maybe bitten off a bit more than I can chew. One thing that I notice right away in this picture is that there is a lot of Playstation and Xbox stuff. I've had various stints throughout the years where I collected for those systems but I've never really bothered playing much on there as I was always very Nintendo or PC focussed with what I actually played. A big part of why I wanted to make this specific cabinet space is so I could change that and actually play through some of the games I have in here. Hopefully once I finish the PC games I'm currently working on I can start making a dent into this malarkey.
There are definitely some games in this picture that I would love to get into soon. There are some Final Fantasy games there for example. I'm going through that series right now and when I get to the ones that I have physically, I will likely play those versions. I also notice that there are a lot of GTA games that I've never properly finished. I also have a surprising amount of Switch stuff on there and also some older Nintendo stuff. I honestly can't wait until I get to all of this stuff.
Then let's get into Steam. This is where the brunt of it is. As you can see in the above screenshot I've divided my backlog into four little categories:
- Backlog S - The games that I'm either currently playing through or planning to play through as soon as possible.
- Backlog A - Games that I want to play soon but aren't top priority.
- Backlog B - Games that I'd like to play eventually.
- Backlog C - Games that I would play, but only if I have a lot of time left over.
You can see with the little brackets up there how many games there are. Those numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for me. I've made a point of it that I don't really allow myself to buy games anymore unless I'm planning to play them right away because I really need to make a good dent into this backlog. I'll mention some specific games in my Backlog S category as these games may end up being mentioned more in depth in future posts. I'm currently playing through Fable Anniversary and Shadow of Mordor. Final Fantasy V is where I'm currently at with that series so obviously that goes in the S category. Then some others I've put in there include NieR Automata, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Ori and the Will of the Wisps.
There is also my digital backlog on Switch. However due to the Switch not really allowing you to categorize your digital game cards without downloading all the games at once it's a bit difficult to track what the status is on it.
I can still name some notable examples though. Currently I'm finally playing through Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity for example. I'm also periodically doing bits of Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate as that's the one game in the series that I somehow didn't play on release.
Some other notable titles I have sitting in there include Kunitsu-Gami, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 4 and Final Fantasy VII. I don't have FF7 for PS1 right now so if I don't find it by the time I finish the pixel remasters I'll just play it on Switch. There is also the remakes, the first of which is also in my Steam backlog but I want to play the original first so I'm saving those for later.
I can still name some notable examples though. Currently I'm finally playing through Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity for example. I'm also periodically doing bits of Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate as that's the one game in the series that I somehow didn't play on release.
Some other notable titles I have sitting in there include Kunitsu-Gami, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 4 and Final Fantasy VII. I don't have FF7 for PS1 right now so if I don't find it by the time I finish the pixel remasters I'll just play it on Switch. There is also the remakes, the first of which is also in my Steam backlog but I want to play the original first so I'm saving those for later.
And that's just a little look into my backlog as it currently stands. I've already been making a pretty decent dent into it lately and I'm planning to continue that going forward. A lot of the games I've mentioned today will probably either get their own dedicated post in the future, or will end up being part of a compilation at some point. Which gives me all the more incentive to play through as many of these games as I can.
With that I'm going to call it a post. And I'm going to continue playing through my current games right away. This backlog doesn't clear itself you know.
Bring 'em to the pit!
Comments
Post a Comment