Sacred Reich at Tivoli Vredenburg Utrecht

About a week or so ago I went to see Sacred Reich at Tivoli Vredenburg in Utrecht. They played together with Angelus Apatrida and Velozza. These were all bands I had seen before so I more or less knew what to expect, though it had been a long time since I last saw Sacred Reich so I was curious to see if they were still as good as I remembered. I'm going to go through each set and give my thoughts on them starting with the opener.

Velozza
This is a band that wasn't new to me, as I had already seen them a couple of months prior to this evening at a different show at Willemeen, Arnhem. So I pretty much already knew what to expect. Bands like this are a great way to open up evenings like this. They complement the other two, more well known bands very well and I imagine shows like this are a great way for them to get new eyes on their music as well. Their newest album "Humanity" is really good by the way, I would check it out if you're into unfiltered modern thrash metal.
I really enjoyed their set just like I did back at Willemeen, and I was hoping to maybe get a patch from them for a new battlevest I'm currently working on but unfortunately their merch booth was unmanned every time I was in the lobby. They're a pretty local band though so I'm sure this won't be the last time that I get to see them, so next time I will surely be able to bring something home with me. 








Angelus Apatrida
I had already seen Angelus Apatrida six times before tonight, and each of those times they were a consistent highlight of whatever show or festival they were playing on. And I have to say that tonight was no different. Their stage presence is great and the music sounds as lovely as ever. 
You can tell that this band has made a great impression over the years because I noticed that Phil Rind of Sacred Reich himself even went into the venue to check their set out. I imagine he enjoyed it just as much as I did! Their music is still very consistent as well. I wasn't familiar with their most recent album but the songs they played from it worked really well for me. Though I will always be a sucker for their "Hidden Evolution" and "Cabaret De La Guillotine" albums as that was the era that I first started getting into this band.
One more thing before I move on to Sacred Reich. I have to give a special shoutout to guitar player Davish G. Álvarez for that awesome Legend of Zelda tattoo on his arm! 








Sacred Reich
I was unsure on how Sacred Reich was going to be as it had been 7 years since I last saw them. Though I have to say, the second they went on stage and started playing any doubts that I had were swept away. They didn't just still have it, it even seemed like they were better than ever at times. 
Everyone gave a lot of energy throughout the set and it the crowd responded to it really well. I had gone to the balcony for their set because unfortunately we were in the middle of a heatwave and it was way too warm for me to stay in the middle of the crowd. However this did not impact my enjoyment of the show much because I was having a blast watching them play all their classics. The lyrics of which I might add, are still as relevant as ever even though some of it was written almost 40 years ago.
I always especially love singing along to their song "Who's To Blame", and I was not the only one in that crowd who felt that way. A couple of songs before the end I decided to go back downstairs so I could still be in the crowd a little bit before the show was over. I have to say it always feels really special when Sacred Reich plays their cover of Black Sabbaths "War Pigs". 
One final thing I have to add on their set, I normally am not a big fan of having a lot of stage banter but I enjoyed hearing all the little anectotes Phil told about the history of the band. It really brought a great connection between him and his crowd.








I think it's safe to say that this was a very good evening for me. It was a pretty last minute decision to go to this show but I'm very glad I did because that Sacred Reich set has been one of the best sets I've seen so far this year. I hope I will still be able to see them many more times in the future! Velozza and Angelus Apatrida were both also really fun to see obviously and I'm sure I will see them again as well.

With that I'm going to call this a post. Remember to check out Velozzas most recent album "Humanity". It's a great listen and they deserve the extra traction!

Bring 'em to the pit!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's look at some of the games I've cleared from my backlog recently

Introduction to the Crimson Pit

My backlog is way too large for my own good