My favourite Wii games
Not too long ago I made a post about my favourite Super Nintendo games. I've been wanting to do the same thing for other consoles as well and the first I really want to get to is the Wii. I first got a Wii around the time I started middle school and throughout middle school I've played a ton of great games on it. Including a bunch of my favourite games of all time even.
So let's have a look at the games I enjoyed the most. I don't think there will be any super obscure picks here. But at the same time it's not gonna be just the super popular games either. I think we have a nice mix of things going on here. Now without any further malarkey, let's get into it!
#10 - Wii Sports Resort
Okay this might be a bit of an obvious pick. Wii Sports Resort was the first game I ever owned for the Wii and I played it an insane amount when I just got it at the time. I also had Wii Sports but honestly Wii Sports Resort was where it was at for me. I spent a lot of time mastering all the different minigames that this game had to offer. My favourites were probably bowling, table tennis and air sports. That last one may be an odd choice but I really enjoyed the mode where you could just casually fly around Wuhu Island.
#9 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Alright another obvious one but come on, it's Super Smash Bros! I know this game is a bit unpopular nowadays within the Smash Bros community but it's honestly still one of my favourites in the series. As a more casual player this is a really fun game to sink a lot of time into. And there's a lot to do as well even if you're just playing by yourself. The story mode in particular deserves a lot of praise here. I know the levels can be a bit bland but I always enjoy when I am able to play through it. I also have to give a shout to the coin launcher mode which was a really fun way to collect trophies and stickers.
#8 - Donkey Kong Country Returns
Now this is a revival done right. There hadn't been a Donkey Kong Country game in a long time by this point, and the original trilogy is probably my favourite set of 2D platformers. So I was really happy when this game came out. They did a great job capturing what made the Donkey Kong platforming feel so good to me. I will admit I was a bit sad to see that King K. Rool and the Kremlings weren't there, but that didn't do away with the quality here. I will say though, nowadays I rather play the Switch version because I don't have to shake the controller all the time in that one.
#7 - Punch-Out!!
As far as I know this is still the latest Punch-Out game, and it's my personal favourite in the series. I would play through this game over and over again when I just got it. At one point I even got good enough that I could get all the way to the Mr. Sandman title defence match without losing a single fight. I don't think I could replicate that today though if I tried. I always found the characters very endearing, my favourite will always be Super Macho Man for being a cheesy nod to professional wrestlings "golden era". This game has been on my list for a while now as something I want to replay again soon. I should get to that shouldn't I?
#6 - Goldeneye 007
I feel like this is probably the most out of left field pick on this list. I had a lot of fun with the single player campaign in this game but I mostly played the online multiplayer at the time. A lot of people always had mixed feelings about using motion controls but, while this game also supported regular controllers, I actually felt like I could aim a lot better using the wiimote. I played this game so much that I could probably still know all the maps from memory if I played it again today. Sadly the online isn't live anymore and as far as I know none of the fan servers that let you play Wii games online support this game. I would love to be able to play this online multiplayer one more time.
#5 - Super Mario Galaxy
I actually don't enjoy Galaxy as much as I do many other 3D Mario titles. But it's still a 3D Mario title which is enough to give it a high ranking for me in lists like this. I always have a great time getting all the stars in this game and doing all the optional levels. The general hub is probably one of the best atmospheres that the Wii has to offer as well. And then I haven't even mentioned the soundtrack yet. That is where this game truly shines if you ask me.
#4 - The Last Story
The Last Story isn't as beloved as some of the other big RPGs on the Wii are, but it's one of my favourites. I had a great time going through the story in this game. The combat also always felt really nice to me. I especially enjoyed the mode where you could refight bosses with other people online. The city that the game took place in always felt very alive to me. Though nowadays it might feel a little dated, it is still a Wii game after all. I also have to mention the fact that the soundtrack was composed by none other than the legendary Nobuo Uematsu. And it definitely shows!
#3 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
You know that I'll always be present when there's a Zelda game to be played. Twilight Princess is a game that I especially enjoy. The motion controls aren't the best I'll admit, but after some getting used to I never had any issues with it. This game has one of my favourite soundtracks in the Zelda series. I also love the dungeon design and boss fights more than I do with any other installment. Of course this game also features one of the most iconic Ganondorf designs in the series which I have to appreciate. Any time I get to fight some variant of Ganon I'm guaranteed to have a good time.
#2 - Pandora's Tower
I've mentioned atmosphere earlier in this list. And I don't think any game on the Wii does atmosphere better than Pandora's Tower. The general concept of this game has always been really interesting to me. Where the entire game is essentially just the dungeons that you go through. I love the story in this game as well even though it's pretty much entirely confined to one location with three characters. I think that factor of isolation actually plays a big part in creating the atmosphere in this game. The dungeon designs are very interesting and the boss fights are neat, I like how they all incorporate the chain mechanics in different ways.
#1 - Monster Hunter Tri
I don't think there was ever any doubt on what my number one would be. Monster Hunter Tri is by far my most played Wii game and it's where I got my start with what is now my favourite video game franchise. I played this game a lot with my friends back in middle school but also on my own. I know there are dedicated fan servers that you can play it on nowadays and I still should check those out some day. I still have a lot of great memories of Moga Village, Loc Lac City and all the different maps and monsters featured here. In hindsight it does get overshadowed a little bit by Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U, but Tri still deserves its place at the top of this list for me.
Man the Wii has a great library of games doesn't it? There are a LOT of games I had to leave out for this one as well. Some good honorable mentions include Skyward Sword, Mario Kart Wii and Xenoblade Chronicles. And even beyond that there are still a lot of beloved titles that I have yet to play as well. Hopefully I can get into some of those some day.
With that I'm going to call it a post. I really want to play some of these games again soon. Hopefully I can find the time.
Bring 'em to the pit!
Comments
Post a Comment